Super8 film reel to DVD transfer
Don’t be fooled! Your regular 8mm film reels are NOT the same as your Super 8 film reels. It doesn’t matter to us though! Your Super8 film reel to DVD transfer costs the same as regular 8mm film and we handle them both expertly. The Super8 film strip is still 8mm wide, hence the name, but the perforations on the edge are smaller so there is a larger exposure area. Eastman Kodak took the game when they launched the Super 8mm film at the 1964-65 Worlds Fair and the technical variations grew from there. There’s a lot you can know about Super 8mm film, but here’s what we think you should know.
- Your Super 8mm film reels are 50+ years old, this is what was happening the year they were invented: Days of Our Lives debuted its first episode, Martin Luther King Jr. was marching for civil rights in Alabama and the Vietnam War raged overseas.
- Super 8 film was popular for home movies until about 1980. We scan frame-by-frame for the best capture. MTV gave it a comeback in the late ’80s for their music videos, but that’s a different story.
- The Super 8 plastic cartridge is considered to be the fastest loading film system EVER. It can be loaded in less than two seconds into the Super 8 camera. You didn’t even need to touch the film.
- Kodak released a sound on film version in 1973 and when you convert your Super 8mm film to DVD, we can do your Super8 with audio too.
- Have you ever heard of Polavision? It’s an instant 8mm film released in the 70’s and can be run through a Super 8mm projector because it shares the same perforations. The Polavision to DVD process can be done similarly to a Super8 film reel to DVD transfer, but because of the way it’s developed, the picture is darker.
If you’re considering converting your Super 8mm films to DVD, we completely agree. If your film is wider than this, or you know it’s not Super8 – click here.
Everything you need to know
about Super8 home movies to DVD
Common questions about Super8 film reel to DVD conversion
Are my Super8 film reels safe?
The time to convert your home movie reels and transfer to DVD or USB has never been better than now. The color in your film will fade and if you’re not properly storing your Super8 film reels (or any other kind), it may be too late by the time you’re ready. Our technicians are expertly trained to scan your film frame-by-frame and provide you a beautiful and optimized digital copy of your priceless family movies.
Why do my Super8 film reels smell like vinegar?
Oh no! Get those to a professional (like us) immediately! Your Super8 film reels (plus regular 8mm & 16mm) contain acetate and the molecular bonds start to break down when exposed to heat or moisture, then they release acid that causes this smell. It’s possible they can be saved but also possible they will become brittle and shrink and degrade beyond repair.
Can you transfer moldy film reels?
We hate to say no, but sometimes we can’t if it’s really bad. Always be aware of what’s happening with your old home movies or you may not save them. We have the ability to do a moderate amount of cleaning to your film reels, but mold on a reel can affect the quality of your transfer and sometimes a reel is just too damaged. Always properly store and care for any film reels you haven’t converted to DVD or USB yet.
Super8 Film Reels – From Our Blog
Does my Super8 film have audio?
Sound is part of what made Super8 film reel so popular, so you probably do! If you’re not sure, this is how you tell:
Read more audio on film reels…
How many feet are on my reel?
The easiest way to start a Super8 to DVD project is to know how much film you have, and we can show you how:
Read more measuring film…
What to do after digitizing?
If you’re doing your Super 8 film reel to DVD, we have ideas for what you can do with the digital files we provide you!
Read more about what’s next…
“After dinner, I showed old 8 mm home movies from the ‘50s and ‘60s (plus some videos from the ‘80s) that I recently had Everpresent convert to a flash drive. My family LOVED watching them! It was bittersweet seeing loved ones who are no longer with us (including my mom), but at the same time, it was comforting, too. And my kids and my nephews liked seeing older family members in their younger years (not to mention the old cars, radios, phones, etc. that appeared in the background of the old movies).”
– Raymond A.
Visit one of our Northeast locations:
HEADQUARTERS - Newton
Back Bay & South End
North Attleborough (MA/RI)
or work with us from the comfort of your own home.
You can also ship directly to us!
- Consulations from the privacy of your own home
- Perfect for large or complex projects with multiple formats
- Our certified consultants travel across the Northeast
- Free, no obligations estimate
- Speak with our certified consultants over the phone
- Ship to our headquarters in Newton, MA
Standard & custom Super8 film reel pricing options
Super8 film reels with or without audio to DVD or USB, plus we’ll capture the labeling on your reels digitally.
- Delivered via private website accessible by your unique password
- Downloadable mp4 files
- High quality transfer to computer
- Local lab, not sent overseas
- USB drive or CD/DVDs – ask your consultant about archival DVDs for security
- Experienced and local technicians
- 3 level human eye quality control
- Label transcription & private website included
- Up to 2000 feet: $45
2000-5000 feet: $65 | 5000+ feet: $85
- Archival DVD & Medical-grade USB combos
- 80 yr, scratch-resistant, silver/gold alloy
- Downloadable digital files included
- Films with sound: Additional $0.10/foot
- Molded or damaged reels: ask your consultant
- Extra DVDs and CDs: $5 Standard, $10 Archival
- Extra USB: ask your consultant
- Add label transcription to Digital Only: $2/reel
- Private website upload free for 6 months
WE ORGANIZE AND DIGITIZE ALL YOUR MEMORIES
Get an estimate on your Super8 Film Reel to DVD transfer project!
Fill out our form or call to speak to a consultant