Best Resources for Rhode Island Photo and Video Enthusiasts
Camera shops are gems in the world of photography. Not just for pulling the trigger on your next big equipment purchase, they’re also a great place to connect with other photographers and local resources. Here’s a list of worthwhile photography and photography related services located within the state.
Photo and Video Equipment and Services
- Ritrex Camera Photography equipment and accessories, specializing in Canon and Nikon brands. Located in Newport
- High Output Rental service, including photography, videography, and production equipment. Located in Providence.
- Midstate Camera Repair Digital and analog camera repair. Located in Warwick.
Ready to take a break from digital? If you got your start in a darkroom returning to analog photography might just remind you why you fell in love with photography in the first place. Fortunately there are still some places in the state that offer local film processing and darkroom access.
- The Camera Werks Black and white, E-6, and C41 film processing. Services also include prints, and camera repair. Located in Providence.
- AS220 Community dark room available by reservation. The site is also shared with local workshops and student photography programs. Located in Providence.
Photography Classes/Photography Workshops
Is your photography feeling a bit stale? We’ve all been there. Why not mix it up by learning a new technique or pushing your photography into a completely new genre? You can find local photography classes and workshops on just about any topic you can imagine. Here are a few places to get started.
- The Camera Werks Ongoing workshops taught by local professional photographers. Located in Providence.
- Cindy Wilson Local classes and travel workshops. Located in North Kingstown.
- Onne van der Wal photography and video Nautical focused photography workshops and lectures. Located in Narragansett
Sometimes it’s best to enlist the help of a professional. Here are some local video services to help you capture footage of your next big event.
- Provizion Video Full-service video production located in West Warwick
- Captivation Photography -photography and videography located in Tiverton
- AV Wedding Productions Wedding and event videography located in East Greenwich
Art Quality Prints
Take your photos to the next level. Whether you’re looking to sell your work, preparing for a local show, or just want something to hang on your bedroom wall, a quality printer can make all the difference. Here are a couple of printers local to Rhode Island you may want to check out.
- iolabs Fine art photography prints including custom printing and imaging. Located in East Providence
- Providence Picture Frame Exhibition quality digital printing and framing service. Located in North Providence
Get inspired by Rhode Island’s past. Here are some great history museums to add to your next weekend getaway or day-trip.
- Roger Williams Park Museum of Natural History and Planetarium The state’s only natural history museum and Planetarium with over 250,000 natural and cultural objects. Located in Providence.
- Newport Historical Society Museum of Newport history including online collections and research support. Located in Newport.
- Rough Point Mansion and Museum Part of the Newport Restoration Foundation, Rough Point Mansion houses an extensive collection of fine art. Located in Newport.
Inspired to dig deeper? Historical societies house huge collections of records, artifacts, and primary source documents. Not only that, they are run by enthusiastic staff and volunteers happy to answer all your history questions or point you in the right direction. Here are a few great historical organizations to get your started.
- Rhode Island Historical Society The single largest collection of historical importance relating to Rhode Island. Located in Providence.
- Jamestown Historical Society Multiple historic locations located in and around Jamestown including a once schoolhouse and library turned museum. Located in Jamestown.
- Newport Historical Society An extensive collection of documents and primary sources, available by appointment. Located in Newport.
If you’re looking to research ancestors that lived in the state of Rhode Island a genealogical society should be your first stop. Take a look at these locations to get your search started.
- Rhode Island Genealogical Society Resources and assistance with research and historical preservation. Located in Hope.
- Rhode Island Genealogy A developing online resource providing birth, marriage, death and census records for those with Rhode Island ancestry.
Consider adding one of Rhode Island’s many art museums to your next trip’s itinerary. Here are a few particularly worth considering.
- Rhode Island School of Design Museum over 100,000 assorted works of art and design with many available online along with other resources. Located in Providence.
- Bristol Art Museum Featuring online exhibits and community engagement. Located in Bristol
- Newport Art Museum Features a permanent collection and rotating exhibits of contemporary art. Located in Newport.
Rhode Island Center for Photographic Arts photography based community engagement including events and workshops and photography exhibitions. Located in Providence.
Hikes and scenic locations
Finished with the museum tour? Don’t forget to take advantage of Rhode Island’s beautiful outdoor space! Plan the perfect hike or picnic with these state local resources.
- Visit RI A selection of recommended hiking trails and walking paths throughout the state.
- Trails and Walks in Rhode Island An extensive catalog of outdoor hiking trails.
Our Rhode Island Locations
Learn about our Rhode Island digitizing services.