Best Resources for Vermont Photo and Video Enthusiasts
Written by Leon
As a leading photo and video digitizing service in Vermont, our team and clients are often in need of other service, from camera rental to printers and more. We’ve put together this guide to help you get all of your photo and video needs handled well in the Green Mountain State.
Photo and Video Equipment and Repair
When it comes to purchasing new equipment we usually turn to the internet. But taking your business to a local brick and mortar store might be the way to go if you want to see equipment firsthand or get knowledgeable recommendations and answers before deciding how to spend your money. Here are some locations to check out.
- LeZot Burlington area’s one-stop-shop for all your photography needs including camera body and camera lens rental
- Vermont Camera Works digital and film camera repair, they also sell used camera equipment. Located in Pittsfield.
Analog photography has long since been eclipsed by digital, but the medium is still alive and well. Here are some locations that offer local film processing and print development services.
- Vermont Dark Room offers color and black and white negative film processing as well as black and white silver halide prints. Located in Brandon.
- Vermont Center for Photography offers film processing for all black and white 35mm, medium, and large format film. They also have a public darkroom facility with stations available to rent with 24 hours notice. Located in Brattleboro.
Photography Classes/Photography workshops
If you’re looking to build on your photography skills or plug in to the local photography scene check out these locations for education and workshops.
- Vermont Center for Photography – Classes and workshops, located in Brattleboro.
- Green Mountain Exposure – Classes and workshops including private lessons and organized photo outings. Located in Burlington.
- Vermont Photo Tours – Photography tours held at locations across the state, they also offer personalized workshops and private lessons.
- In-Sight Photography – Youth photography classes and equipment access. Classes are offered regardless of ability to pay and taught by a staff of local photographers and artists. Located in Brattleboro.
Need help with capturing a special event or occasion? Here are some state local videography services that can help.
- Mondo Media Works – on-site and remote video production services and coaching. Located in Brattleboro.
- Video Vermont – Special events videography with a focus on cinematic wedding films. Servicing Burlington, Stowe, Woodstock and New Hampshire locations.
- Videographer of Vermont – Film production and special events videography local to Burlington.
Art Quality Prints
Consider turning your favorite photos or digitized prints into framed works of art for your new apartment or next housewarming party. These local businesses specialize in large-format and high-end photo prints.
- Cone Editions – Press Fine art quality digital prints located in East Topsham.
- Light Works – Large-format digital prints located in Winooski.
- Northlight Digital – Archival art reproduction and print service located in White River Junction.
Explore Vermont’s rich history with these history museums and historic preservation organizations.
- Digital Vermont – Their collection includes a virtual archive of historic photographs and documents, including a collection of items relating to the influenza pandemic of 1918. Located in Barre.
- Old Stone House Museum and Village Collections, exhibits, and events of Orleans County. Located in Brownington
- Vermont Historical Society Museum – Extensive historical records, resources and heritage exhibits. Located in Montpelier
- Billings Farm and Museum – A working farm and scientific-farming history museum. Offerings include interactive exhibits and demonstrations. Located in Woodstock.
- Birds of Vermont Museum – This natural history museum includes a preserved collection of life-like bird carvings. Dedicated to educating visitors on the role of birds in the ecosystem. Located in Huntington
If you’re looking to dig into the history of a particular location historical societies are a great place explore.
- Vermont Historical Society – History center and library with extensive collections aimed at locals and visitors alike. Their museum research collection is available by appointment and includes over 30,000 artifacts with direct connection to the lives of Vermonters. Located in Barre.
- Burlington Historical Society – Historical Society with collections specific to Burlington.
- Brattleboro Historical Society – Historical Society with collections specific to Brattleboro.
- Bennington Historical Society – Includes collections and information from neighboring areas. Located in Bennington.
Historical societies are a great place to start but if you’re interested in digging deeper and your ancestors have a history in the state you may want to take a look at these genealogical societies.
- Genealogical Society of Vermont – Resources and support for Vermont based genealogical research.
- Vermont State Archives – Records related specifically to Vermont, many useful for genealogical research.
- American Ancestors – New England based historic genealogical society including Vermont based records and collections, located in Boston, MA.
Vermont has long prided itself on a thriving arts community. Here are some great places to get started.
- Vermont Art Online – An online portal to Vermont local museums and galleries created in response to Covid-19.
- The Fleming Museum of Art – Collections of contemporary and historic art and anthropological artifacts from around the world, also offers virtual tours and online exhibits. Located on the campus of the University of Vermont in Burlington.
- Bennington Museum – Museum of art and art history local to southern Vermont and surrounding communities with online exhibits. Located in Bennington.
Photography Art Exhibitions
If your interest in art is more specific to photography, Vermont has that too. Check out these photo galleries for some inspiration or to get involved with the local community.
- Darkroom Gallery – Dedicated to bringing exposure to photographers from around the world through juried exhibitions and local showings. Located in Essex Junction.
- The Photo Place Gallery – Monthly juried photography exhibitions and showings, located in Middlebury.
- The Vermont Center for Photography – Monthly rotation of exhibits showcasing a variety of artistic photography styles and genres. Located in Brattleboro.
Spend Time Outdoors
Hikes and Scenic locations
As a state famous for its green mountains and outdoor recreation there is no shortage of beautiful hikes and scenic locations to be found. Take a look at these resources for help planning an outdoor adventure perfect for any level of experience.
Vermont State Parks – An extensive directory of hikes, outdoor activities, and trail recommendations. Resources include a section of tips and tricks for navigating the infamous Vermont mud season.
Vermont Outdoor Guide Association – Focused on outdoor recreation and activities across the state. They also host a calendar of events and resource links to outdoor skills and survival training opportunities.
The Green Mountain Club
Resource for connecting with other hikers in the state. The site also has information and recommendations for day-hike and accessibility friendly trails.
Our Vermont Locations
Learn about our Vermont digitizing services.
Burlington, Middlebury, Williston, Rest of Northern VT
Woodstock and Upper Valley Areas
Rutland and Manchester Areas